What's your mental model when you need immediate marketing results?
I run a digital agency (Kaleidico), so each new client is an exercise in starting from zero.
Typically, on our first "discovery" call, I have:
- No insight into their current marketing strategy and tactics,
- No historical perspective into metrics or performance,
- No assessment of their marketing team or skillsets, and
- No understanding of their business objectives
But, on every call, I can guarantee within 30 minutes or less I can structure a digital marketing program that will increase web traffic, sales leads, and ultimately revenue within 3-6 months.
How is that possible? Frameworks and Models.
I use a pretty consistent discovery framework that quickly gathers and organizes the data I need to feed into one of a handful of proven digital marketing models.
You, give it a try.
My Discovery Framework
Frameworks are roadmaps for planning and execution. They guide you to efficiently gather, analyze, and process data into a plan that can be executed and measured. This framework is one I use to go from discovery to marketing plan with my new clients.
- Product - Take a look at your most profitable or promising product or service. Select one to focus on
- Assets - Inventory your available assets - people, skills, platforms (i.e., website, social media following(s), email list, etc.)
- Numbers - Gather and review your numbers. Current web traffic, top landing pages, email list size and open rates, goals, and objectives for your sales and marketing team(s)
- Internet Marketing Model - There are only a few ways to capture the attention of consumers and funnel them in to buy your product. These are best represented by a few basic Internet marketing models.
- Channels - Determine the one channel you're going to focus on for this campaign. The one channel where you're going to try to move the needle for revenue growth
One of the most important elements in this marketing planning framework, and probably the least understood, are the basic Internet Marketing Models. These are basic patterns to build audiences, capture them into your marketing funnel(s), and then convert them into customers.
My Internet Marketing Models
Models are simplified representations of the way something works. It ideally cuts away distractions and leaves the core of the essence of how a thing works. Understanding and indexing these basic models in your mind help you to quickly identify and apply a system that generally will give you results.
- Paid Media - PPC to Landing Page to Sales Lead
- Content Marketing - SEO/Content to Email List to Sales Lead
- Social Media/Video Marketing - Social Media/Video to Follower to Content/Email List to Sales Lead
- Email Marketing - Email List to Sales Lead
- Outbound Marketing - Sales Lead to Email List
Each of these certainly requires a bit more explanation and detail, which I'll cover in future emails, but as you can see every digital marketing strategy you can conceive can be constructed or deconstructed using these 5 basic Internet marketing models.
This should have sparked some questions. Leave a comment below and let's discuss more.
Photo by Nik MacMillan on Unsplash